“If you want to lift yourself up, lift up someone else.”
– Booker T. Washington
See the bottom of the page for sign up forms
Thank you for your interest in volunteering at the YWCA Hanover!
Our national mission, eliminating racism and empowering women, and promoting peace, justice, freedom, and dignity for all, locally translates to providing our community with resources that foster transformation and stability. We strive to create possibilities for growth, leadership, and empowerment for individuals and families in our area, and we welcome you as a partner in our work. Our services include an emergency domestic violence shelter, 24-hour crisis support, civil legal advocacy, affordable & educational childcare programs, special events, and diverse programming. There are many different volunteer opportunities within the organization, including:
• Board of Directors-the function of board members is to determine policies, procedures, and regulations for organizations; to raise funds to finance the organization and its programs, and to monitor organizational performance. Board leaders are also ambassadors for the YWCA and attend YWCA events, community functions, and more. For more information on a particular committee, please email the Chief Executive Officer, Jody Shaffer at firstname.lastname@example.org
• Committee Volunteers-YWCA Hanover has 6 standing committees open for volunteers. Committees include Finance, Personnel, Facility/Safety, Fund Development, Nominating, and Advocacy. Meetings are held at different times and some only meet a few times a year while others meet monthly. For more information on a particular committee, please email the Chief Executive Officer, Jody Shaffer at email@example.com
• SafeHome – domestic violence advocacy program with 24-hour crisis response, safe emergency housing, legal advocacy
• Girls Loving Life – Saturday morning program for girls in grades 2-12 seeking to motivate and inspire youth in our community
• Women’s Action for Advocacy – a forum for women to discuss issues, policies, and concerns important to them
We are also always seeking assistance with administrative tasks, serving on committees, teaching a class, working on special events, as well as in our childcare facilities reading to the children or interactive play. We would love to discuss your availability and interest at your convenience.
Anyone wishing to volunteer with SafeHome or answer our 24-hour crisis line must complete our Domestic Violence Advocacy Training. This training is essential and meets the DSHS requirements for domestic violence programs in Pennsylvania. The packet includes the basic information sheet as well as a questionnaire about your interests, and availability. Please complete the volunteer packet at your earliest convenience. We will contact you after reviewing your application.
If you have any questions about the application or about volunteering with YWCA Hanover and/or SafeHome, please do not hesitate to contact us at 717.637.2125 or email Louis Mart at firstname.lastname@example.org.